Model United Nations( MUN)
Model United Nations( MUN) is an educational simulation of the UN General Assembly, UN Security Council, or other multilateral body, which introduces students to the world of diplomacy, negotiation, and decision making.
MUN involves and teaches research and develops debating, public-speaking along with verbal and written English skill in addition to critical thinking, teamwork, and leadership abilities. MUN conferences raise awareness of global problems and introduce them to students.
At Model United Nation, students step into the shoes of ambassadors of countries that are members of the UN. The students, known as “delegates”, debate current issues on the organization’s agenda. They prepare draft resolutions, plan strategy, negotiate with supporters and steer the UN’s rules of procedure in order to resolve problems and make recommendations to UN, with a view to achieving peace and stability for creating better future. Students research on the particular global problem to be addressed. These problems are drawn from headlines. MUN delegates learn how the international community acts on its concerns about peace and security, human rights, environmental issues, food and hunger, economic development, and globalization.
As a part of MUN delegates also look closely at the needs, aspirations, and foreign policy of the country they will “represent” at the event. This helps them gain an insight into history geography, culture, economics and contribution of the representing country. MUN ensures a lively and memorable experience to the participating students.
DPSI students are offered various opportunities to participate in MUN conferences organised by different schools.
International Award for Young People at DPSI
DPS International, Gurgaon is proud to be officially affiliated with The International Award for Young People (IAYP) which is one of the most adaptable and successful youth empowerment programs.
First introduced in the United Kingdom in 1956 as the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, the International Award for Young People aims to motivate and engage young people aged between 14 and 25 years in a balanced programme of voluntary self-development activities. This engagement sees them through the potentially difficult period between adolescence and adulthood. Around the world, more than 11 million people in 140 countries use this model for positive youth empowerment that draws together and connects people, institutions and generations with the common purpose of youth development and inclusion.
The award programme was introduced in India in 1962 with a view to encouraging young people in the country to achieve their full growth potential within the framework of Indian society, to improve their moral, social and intellectual well-being and to ‘Equip them for Life’.
The programme is non-competitive and anyone with perseverance and enterprise, including the differently-abled, can earn an award. Young people choose activities that are appropriate to their environment and best suited to their own personal interests and talents.
Levels of the programme:
There are 3 levels of the award for young people between the age of 14 and 25 years:
|Level of Award ||Minimum age of entry ||Minimum duration
|Bronze ||14 years ||6 months
|Silver ||15 years ||12 months
|Gold ||16 years ||18 months
There are 4 mandatory sections for the award which have been carefully thought out to add value and challenge the body, spirit and mind:
- Service: To learn and be active in giving useful service
- Skills: To focus on the development of personal interests and practical skills.
- Physical recreation: To encourage participation in physical recreation activities and enhance physical fitness.
- Adventurous journey: To experience a spirit of adventure and discovery whilst undertaking a journey in a group.
- Residential Project (Gold level only): To broaden experience through involvement with others in a residential setting.
Benefits of the programme:
The Award is a life changing experience that enables students to
- Undertake activities that support applications for college, university or employment
- Gain recognition for extra/co-curricular activities
- Improve their personal development by learning new skills such as time management, team work and problem solving
- Build their confidence by trying something new
- Make a positive impact on their community through volunteering
- Participation in an internationally recognised programme
Procedure for enrolment:
- Registration form available at school.
- Upon registration, each participant will be given an IAYP record book and an IAYP diary.
- Rs 700/- to be paid as registration cost (inclusive of the record book and diary).
More information can be found on the IAYP website: Click Here
Since this award celebrates sustained effort and progress, the journey towards achieving the target is considered extremely important.